Intro’s: Welcome to the Show!

red_commie_band-01
Hello Gang!
Please add a comment below to say hello and add a self-intro, and also to test that your account is working, telling us again about a favorite film, book, graphic novel, or other diversion (podcast? game? Go for it…)
-Prof. Fernsebner

11 thoughts on “Intro’s: Welcome to the Show!

1. Hi y’all. My name is Taylor O’Dell. I am a junior at UMW, majoring in political science and I am in the College of Education pursing my Masters in Education in History and Social Sciences. While I am looking forward to teaching once I graduate from my graduate program, long term I would like to work in upper level school administration or work on education policy (whew, that is always a mouth full).
    I grew up in Spotsylvania, VA but love being in Fredericksburg.
    As I mentioned in class, I am a sucker for iconic movies that are considered America cinema (such as Titantic, Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, etc.), but I at the top of my list has got to be Apollo 13 (staring the famous Tom Hanks), Silver Linings Playbook, or Moneyball (I’m a huge baseball follower so that film speaks to my heart).
    Recently, I have found myself watching movies that are being streamed online. I personally am not a big fan of movie theaters (ticket and popcorn sales don’t work well with my college student budget) so being able to sit in the comfort of my apartment and to view a movie is a better deal for me. With that being said, thank goodness Netflix and other streaming services have come into existence in the last few years. Talk about really having control over the medium that you can enjoy films.

2. Hey guys, I’m Zainab Imbabi. My first favorite movie was Disney’s Tarzan. I used to wake up every morning as a small child and watch that movie over and over again on VHS. I think I used to watch it between 3 and 5 times a day. I recently (like in 2014) watched it again and I was in tears the whole time. I think it’s such a great movie about love transcending traditional norms (like species). I also think that the Phil Collins soundtrack is perfect. I can’t really explain why I love it so much. Tarzan is very much an “outsider” character who fits into both human and gorilla society but then also doesn’t fit into either group. I also like that Jane is an unusual Disney Princess. Despite being disastrously dressed for her jungle environment, she is smart and you almost feel like she rescues him from his confusion and feelings of being lost. Tarzan never needs to rescue Jane from anywhere. Instead, they both escape their prison on the cargo ship together and then together they rescue the other gorilla’s and Jane’s father. It’s just a perfect movie and if I have kids they are not gonna be allowed to watch any other movie for the first 5 years of their life so they can turn out as awesome as I did.

3. Hi, my name is Michelle Booth. I am a second semester sophomore and I am majoring in computer science and minoring in Asian studies. The reason that I am taking this class is not only to count towards my minor but I am very interested in East Asian culture.

In my free time, I enjoy playing video games, longboarding, watching anime, and playing with my new dog Dunham (also just known as Ham). In terms of films, I am not an avid movie goer but I still enjoy watching movies here and there. My favorite film is “The Secret Garden” and it was a film that was introduced to me when I was young. I love that movie because it takes real life and makes it magical. I also feel like I can could connect a lot with Mary when was younger with her sense of adventure and attitude.

4. Hi! My name is Katie Chau. I am a sophomore majoring in English with a concentration in Creative Writing. Within the concentration I am focusing on Creative Nonfiction. It sounds like an extremely boring genre to write in, but it basically gives me the ability to write about everything and anything as long as the topic is something that actually happened. Honestly, I didn’t think I would be interested in it before I took the class by happenstance. My favorite book is Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban because the cooperation between Crookshanks and Padfoot is really funny to me.

5. Hello All,
    My name is Richard Delima (aka Ricky) and I am a senior here at UMW studying business administration and minoring in Digital Studies. I plan on graduating in December of this year. I have many favorite movies and series however if I had to choose I’d have to say I am very big on Marvel movies and the current MCU films. Disney movies have been my favorite since I was a kid and they continue to expand their boundaries with the purchase of the Marvel and Star Wars universes which only increases my affinity for them.

6. Hey guys! My name is Joseph D’Addio. I’m a Junior at UMW studying History. One of my favorite films, of which there are many, is Jurassic Park due to the fact that it was one of the first films I remember watching. Series wise I love Star Wars and Star Trek. I just can’t pick between the two! One of my favorite books it the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes because I like the way Sherlock is portrayed as a character. I look forward to this semester.

7. Hello everyone, I am Megan Hunnel, I think this will be my first and last year in the UMW history department even with the heavy reading load, I plan to continue on for an masters in education. I am a little bit odd and have a hyper streak. the first movie i remember seeing was Toy Story and my twin remembers one even before that Mulan. I hope we have fun in class and not just with the movies.

8. Hello everyone, I am Megan Hunnel, I think this will be my first and last year in the UMW history department even with the heavy reading load, I plan to continue on for an masters in education. I am a little bit odd and have a hyper streak. the first movie i remember seeing was Toy Story and my twin remembers one even before that Mulan. I hope we have fun in class and not just with the movies.

9. Hey yall! I am Jennifer Baker. I am a transferring Junior. My major is History for my BLS then transfer into the Education Master program to become a Middle history teacher. The first movie at home I remember seeing is Bambi. I cried for days. The first one I remember seeing in theater was Peter Pan with my mom.

10. Hey everyone, I’m Jason Elms. I am a transfer sophomore from Northern Virginia, currently taking my second semester in the UMW history program. My normal area of interest is more directed at European history, however, this class jumped out at me as something really interesting. Outside of history, my interests include the usual TV, movies (more TV than movies), video-games stuff, but I’ve recently found myself becoming a bit of a board game geek during my time on campus. The first movie I can remember watching is The Land Before Time. I was really little when I saw the movie, so my recollection is a bit foggy, but I can remember being very taken with the whole aspect of adventure presented by the movie.

11. I am so so sorry for my late reply (reminder owed to you tomorrow in class IF it doesn’t snow!) My name is Brennan Smith, I am in my senior year at UMW after a long, 10 year journey in pursuit of my bachelors and finally found my home here. My quest began back in Fall 2007 at Virginia Tech when I first decided to be a political scientist and officer in the Army, but after sustaining multiple physical injuries and dealt with personal battles, I returned home to Northern VA in Springfield VA and after starting and stopping school on and off, and the birth of my two children whom I have primary physical custody of, it was more important than ever for me to finally finish my degree. I’m proud to say after this semester, I will finally be done. With the way this last election has done, I will say I could not help drawing parallels between the political control tactics of Mao Zedong, Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, and more currently Vladimir Putin, Kim Jong Il and increasingly Donald Trump and the Republican Party.

Movies! As a parent of two toddlers, naturally I catch up on the most recent Disney and Pixar movies, but find time for my favorite movies. I love my comic book movies, Batman Vs. Superman being my favorite right now because of the open ended infinite possibility of the universe along with the controversy and discussion it created. I actually found the infamous warehouse “Arkham-style” fight scene to be very reminiscent of Chinese martial arts movies similar to those starring Bruce Lee and Donnie Yen, particularly for their insurmountable odds and sheer brutality and disregard for the enemy, which I’ll include the link below.

The earliest movie memory has to be sneaking downstairs and watching Jurassic Park during the T-Rex chase or the first Terminator movie where he coins the infamous phrase “I’ll be back”. I was raised in the generation where Mortal Kombat swept through America during a height of fighting movies, and fortunately was desensitized to violence that I could tell the difference between reality and fantasy. With that mindset, I feel I’ve been able to thoroughly enjoy movies and media to their fullest potential and appreciate the origin and history behind them.

Here is the scene from Batman Vs Superman: Dawn of Justice that’s my favorite right now: https://youtu.be/tdgN85pDOno